Thursday, March 14, 2013

DIY jewelry from paperclips and tape


My local library recently advertised a class for making paperclip chandeliers. Sadly it was for 6th graders, but it piqued my interest. I went home and Googled paperclip chandeliers (awesomeness!) and that led me to Lauren Manoogian's paperclip statement necklaces. They were sold at arty shops, and even Anthropologie had a version for $168. Yeah, you read that right.

I was compelled to try it. They're the perfect, brainless thing to fiddle with while watching TV, or you could keep your kids busy for hours making chains. Make necklaces, or bracelets, or heck, garlands for your Christmas tree next December.

Supplies: paperclips, colored masking tape or electrical tape, and (optional) jewelry clasps.


Just wrap a piece of tape around each paperclip, connecting them in a chain.


Add optional jump rings and a lobster clasp (cheap supplies from a craft or bead store) if the necklace won't fit over your head.


This one has strands of varied lengths.


Geometric designs are popular right now, too. Lay out a paperclip pattern to plan your design, then add one clip at a time to your structure, wrapping each clip with tape as you go.


I'm on the fence about whether this is anything I'd actually wear, but the simple concept makes me happy.

Folks in Cambodia are making them out of food packaging. Or if you get super ambitious, why don't you go ahead and make a paperclip stair runner? Shouldn't take that long. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Discount Here